Rationale: Considering that energy is a critical need of the society, it is important that energy graduates should have an understanding of: i) the reserve position of fossil energy resources in quantitative terms as well as in terms of its lifetime, ii) the importance of renewable energy, and iii) The principles of different renewable energy technologies.
Catalog Description: Reserves and consumption of oil, coal and gas; fundamental principles, applications and status of solar energy, biomass energy, wind energy, hydro-power, geothermal energy, wave energy, tidal energy, and ocean thermal energy; outlook of fossil and renewable energy.
- Understand and appreciate the role of energy and energy system for sustainable development and global warming
- Know the trend of past and (possible) future trends of energy consumption, and share of different energy resources
- An understanding of the fossil fuel (coal, oil and natural gas) origin, extraction and conversion to its final energy application.
- An understanding of the renewable energy (solar, biomass, wind, hydro and geothermal) resource availability, conversion (technologies) and applications, and its status
- Appreciation of energy conversion technologies through field visits
Instructor: Prof. Sivanappan Kumar