Course Objective: This course aims at exposing the students to issues related to climate change (currently a matter of significant global concern) as well as to technological and policy options to mitigate greenhouse gases (GHG). It is also aimed at equipping the students to understand clearly the links between energy use, sustainable development and environmental impacts at local, regional (transboundary) and global levels as well as technology and policy options to address energy related local and regional environmental problems.
Learning Outcomes: The student will be able to
· Explain the role of energy use in the generation of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and the causes and impacts of climate change
· Discuss the carbon cycle and the reservoirs and flows of carbon in the global carbon cycle
· Explain the GHG emission mitigation principles and options
· Show sound understanding of energy policies to mitigate GHG emissions
· Demonstrate sound knowledge of prevailing international conventions and initiatives to mitigate GHG emissions
Instructors: Prof. Sivanappan Kumar and Dr Shobakar Dhakal