Disaster management as an identifiable profession is relatively new. The tasks of a disaster manager, however, have been around for a long time. There has been a growing awareness in recent years that all the activities in various phases of disasters comprise the process of disaster management. By understanding this as an identifiable role, we can describe a coherent and cohesive direction for people who are involved in the field of disasters. The objective of this course is to provide students with a sound knowledge on major and emerging issues with viewpoints confronting recent trend on disaster risk management. The course is also designed to provide the knowledge and understanding of the underpinning concepts on Disaster Risk and also processes involved in management of disasters.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to
· Assimilate the concepts of Disaster Risk Management
· Access vulnerability, risk and capacity
· Identify and apply the methods and tools for disaster risk management
· Manage all phases of disaster management
- Teacher: Dr. Indrajit Pal